Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Prayer List

I had the weirdest thing happen yesterday.

(Should I call being put on a Prayer List a weird thing?  Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that.)

I still read the online Notices from the church where I used to work and included are Prayer Lists.  Commended to Our Prayers This Week, Continued Prayers for Members, and Continued Prayers for Friends of the Church.  I should explain that I wasn't a member of the church where I worked.  I have always attended another local church.

Anyway.

I'm reading along and get to Commended to Our Prayers This Week, and there is my name.  I re-read it about three times before it sinks in.  My name?  Who put my name on the list?  Why would they put my name on the Prayer List?

I called my son into the study and asked if I was sick and no one had told me?  He answered no and I exhale a sigh of relief.  Ha!

I have to admit that my first response to seeing my name was "What the heck?"  I'm at a good place in life right now (although unemployed, I'm fortunate that my husband does have steady income).  I have quiet moments to study my Bible, have been journaling and blogging, listening to God, the house has never been more clean, the meals are hot and healthy every night, etc.  Who thinks I need prayer?  I'm awesome! :)

Then my second response started forming in my brain.  Why would I begrudge people praying for me?  I pray for others all the time.  When someone tells me a personal problem or issue they're experiencing, I ask how I can pray for them.  Why do I think that I don't need prayer?  Heck!  I should be dancing around just thinking that people are praying for me!

Deuteronomy 4:7 says, "What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?"
Prayer brings us closer to God.  It is one necessary part of having a deeper relationship with Him. 

I've come to the conclusion that I am thankful for whoever put me on the Prayer List and grateful for the people who pray for me.  It was a surprise to see my name in print, yet definitely not weird!

Have you had a similar experience with prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!