Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An Old Saying

I attended a monthly Mission Committee meeting at my church on Monday night. Once again I was irked during the meeting. It is not a coincidence that Bill D. has been at the last two meetings when I've had annoyance issues.

Maybe Bill D. is my latest "Christian Challenge" that God is assigning to me. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that....

I understand that Bill's professional life is corporate. He talks about "Return On Investment (ROI)," and he is head of his own company and doesn't seem to know (or understand) that Mission Committee is a collaborative effort. He has very black and white corporate thinking. Unfortunately not Christ-centered thinking.

Colossians 2:8 says, "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."

Not too long ago I heard someone say this old saying, "Be careful when you point at someone's flaw because three of your fingers are pointed back at yourself."

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention my own bad behavior during the meeting? My lack of patience, lack of Christian love, and not obeying Scripture regarding unity?

Colossians 3:12-14 says, "Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and peace. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

Well, well, well...I didn't look like the hands and feet of Christ at the meeting did I? I initially was only going to pray for God to soften Bill's heart while serving on the Mission Committee. Then I realized that I needed to ask for forgiveness and for God to guide me in clothing myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and peace. After all, I have 3 more meetings to attend before moving off the committee. I want to behave better.

Do you have a "Christian Challenge?"

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I have said the saying about the three fingers pointing back at me several times lately. I have also used towards someone that was dogging (judging) me relentlessly.

    I have a huge Christian challenge right now. It involves an old friend that I met at church. We have our issues and lost the friendship. The past few years have been filled with her sending me scriptures, making judgments about my faith, etc... I have been treated the worst by Christians. And, I have treated my Christian friends the worst, at times.

    BTW, this is Emily. I am the one that lives in Conroe. Thanks for posting on my blog. God bless you and I hope your Christian challenge works itself out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!