We're back from Murrells Inlet, South Carolina where we had a lovely week of vacation.
The two things I miss since I work full time are my Thursday morning Bible Study group and the Adult Vacation Bible School at my church. Yet I am very fortunate that my friend Paula sent me handouts from Adult VBS that took place this past week.
This year's Adult Vacation Bible School had a local pastor teaching a series on "Faith: How It Works," and part of his teaching included the following quote(s) from Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude:
"There is no neutrality between gratitude and ingratitude. Those who are not grateful soon begin to complain of everything.
Gratitude, though, is more than a mental exercise, more than a formula of words. We cannot be satisfied to make a mental note of things which God has done for us and then perfunctorily thank Him for favors received.
To be grateful is to recognize the love of God in everything He has given us - and He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with immense graces from Him.
Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, is constantly awakening to new wonder and praise to the goodness of God. For the grateful person knows that God is good not by hearsay but by experience. And that is what makes all the difference..."My heart is filled with gratitude and I praise God for his goodness!
818 - 833 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:
818. Paula sending me handouts and including encouraging handwritten notes
819. buttery-soft sand, ocean water in the 70s, and cool ocean breezes
820. a nearby swimming pool
822. beautiful days at Garden City Beach (love this person's beach towel too)
823. drippy sandcastles. Someone worked hard on this sand masterpiece.
824. reading the book Not a Fan. Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus by Kyle Idleman.
825. wind rattling the palm tree fronds
826. hearing that the larger alligator population is farther inland. ;)
827. frogs croaking loudly one night
828. goats at Murrells Inlet Marshwalk
829. reading the post, "Choosing Life, When Cancer Fears are Everywhere"
830. my job and two weeks of vacation each year
831. my sister-in-law finding employment. Hooray!
832. my granddaughter and seeing her joy while crawling to me
833. God and His love and grace during our vacation
This post is linked to A Holy Experience: Multitudes on Mondays, One Thousand Gifts.
It's good to be home.