Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Spinach Salad

with Hot Bacon Dressing.


Happiness on a plate...


Years ago I received a small recipe booklet from my mother-in-law. It has 14 recipes and this salad dressing is our favorite. When I try a recipe I always write a comment so I'll remember if it was a hit or miss, or if I would tweak it with different ingredients, cooking time, etc.

On this page I had written Perfect!

We've had some very warm days in Pennsylvania and they have kind of killed my appetite. I don't even think about heating up the oven to cook because just the thought makes me kind of nauseous.

We had not eaten Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing in years and because of the scorching temperatures I finally wandered outside of my usual rotation meals, found the little booklet, and Wonderful Husband and I enjoyed our dinner.

For your taste of inspiration, I introduce you to Pennsylvania Dutch Recipes by Nancy C. Berzinec (c) 1987 Wellspring. York, Pennsylvania.

Hot Bacon Dressing

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

6 slices bacon
4 tablespoons bacon drippings
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 egg

croutons (optional)
sliced (or crumbled) hard-cooked eggs (optional)

Cook bacon, remove from frying pan and set aside.
Measure out bacon drippings, and return four tablespoons of the drippings to the frying pan.
Add vinegar and water, and set aside.
Combine sugar, salt, cornstarch and egg, and stir into vinegar mixture.
Cook slowly over medium heat until smooth.
Wash and dry greens. Roughly tear greens into a salad bowl.
Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, croutons and eggs, and pour warm dressing over all.

Yum.

A few tips:
I serve this spinach salad in individual servings. Sprinkle with bacon and hard boiled egg and I use the dressing very sparingly.
It is very sweet and I don't like soggy salad.
I'm a drizzler and Wonderful Husband is a pour-er.
We both enjoyed our salad, our way.
I am usually a big fan of croutons on salad but have determined that the crunch of the bacon is good enough for me on this one.
Lastly, let the dressing cool a bit before putting on the salad.

Enjoy!

Bonus Note:
Wonderful Husband did the dishes after dinner. He lives up to his blog nickname again! Booyah!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe! It's one of my favorites too and I don't even eat bacon!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!