Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

One Thousand Gifts (262-274)

Continuing my journey of counting toward One Thousand Gifts...


I took Wonderful Husband to his colonoscopy appointment. It's been 10 years since his last one and this one went like clock-work. We arrived at 7:00 a.m. and we were walking out at 8:55 a.m.

He had two polyps removed and they were sent off for pathology results to determine if they were pre-cancerous or benign. His doctor called on Sunday to tell him that the polyps were pre-cancerous and he will need another colonoscopy in 6 months to make sure that the cauterization killed off the remaining cells from the polyps.

If you think this is too much information TMI let me explain that the reason I encourage people to have a colonoscopy is that my father died of colon cancer in 1992. He had issues for years and after finally going to a doctor, having a colonoscopy, being diagnosed with colon cancer, and having surgery...he died 6 months after his surgery. He was 54 years old.

Because colon cancer is now a part of my family history, a doctor recommended that I have a colonoscopy at age 40. I must admit that I put it off for a few years but now at the "ripe old age of 50," I have had two. After the first one where I had polyps removed, I was told to come back in two years. After my second colonoscopy, I was "promoted" to coming back in four years.

Yes, the prep is awful....for Wonderful Husband more like a walk in the park, for me a constant run for the bathroom....yet a small price to pay for a procedure that can detect cancer early and if detected early has a great survival rate.

So ends my Public Service Announcement. You're welcome. :)

#262 - #274 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:

262. the colonoscopy procedure

263. a doctor who uses anesthesia sparingly

264. a Sunday telephone call from the doctor to Wonderful Husband

265. discussing Chapters 1 and 2 of The Fitting Room with Terri. We laughed because we highlighted most of the same words.

266. a nice visit with our son and sending him home to Virginia for more interviews this week

267. a niece who volunteered to help me with my daughter's baby shower in October

268. our nephew-in-law's birthday and Facebooking his happy birthday wishes to him

269. a four day work week (last week)

270. a nice visit with Diane to catch up on life

271. braces. Yes, I am 50 years old and have braces! lol
Five weeks and counting!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
272. much needed rain showering our thirsty grass, trees, and plants

273. hard eucharisteo: hearing harsh words and responding with the explanation of my focus on grace this year. God's grace to me and my showing His grace toward others. (Will she tuck my response away and understand it later? I don't know, yet I pray she will.)

274. tears that bring relief, healing, and forgiveness to my soul

Do you cry often? Do you feel better or worse afterward?

Turn on your speakers.
Read, enjoy, and thank God for His blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, I popped over from Ann's place. What a great list...and thank you for the PSA! :-) Braces...you go girl! I stopped because I am from PA too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from Ann's. How great to be able to respond with gratitude in the hard moments. Blessings =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cry occasionally (might be the hormones). I usually just feel sleepy afterward.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!