Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

One Thousand Gifts (292-302)

Continuing my journey of counting toward one thousand gifts...


This past week was filled with the wonderful news of our son getting a job and receiving the sad news of Charlotte's brother (David, 75 years old) dying in a car accident. My previous boss called and told me about a parishoner who had died too.

At first I started to define this week as full of death news. Yet in the midst of it, I see our daughter pregnant and growing with life. I heard an update on Terri's daughter-in-law's pregnancy too.

Lives ending and lives beginning.

I think about turning 50 years old this year and how every day seems like a gift. God blesses me and it is no coincidence that I read One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are in February of this year. It has encouraged me to actively seek, recognize, and name blessings every day and I am grateful in the discipline and practice.

#292 - #302 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:

292. our son getting hired for a teaching position

293. making a list for our daughter's baby shower. Ordered the party invitations, thank you cards, plates and napkins. Monkey theme? Not a problem thanks to Traci at http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/07/throwing-party.html

294. our associate pastor sharing during his sermon that he is taking anti-anxiety meds after his parents' dying six months apart. I applaud his openness and courage and pray for God's healing for him.

295. daylilies. Driving to work already feeling tired and seeing their golden hues makes my eyes (and spirit) perk up.

296. beautiful sunsets

297. rain this week. God watering our lawn and trees for free!

298. meeting Barrie for iced coffee and sharing our lives and our faith

299. butterflies. (I hope to someday have my camera in hand to get a picture. This Photo Credit goes to Cherie at  http://www.heartandsoulreflections.com/)



300. attending David's funeral and being present for Charlotte during her time of mourning. Seeing Charlotte before the service and her introducing me to her 90 year old friend of the family, a lovely Mennonite woman, with the words, "Cindy is the one who recommended Ann Voskamp's book." Then Charlotte turned to me and saying, "We've been reading One Thousand Gifts and talking about it every night."

301. freshly baked banana nut bread (I love that the recipe's name is E-Z Banana Bread. So easy it doesn't even spell out the word! Ha!)

302. life

Waiting for the sun to set before the fireworks begin on July 2, 2011
Peddler's Village, Lahaska, PA


Turn on your speakers.
Read, enjoy, and thank God for His blessings.

What are you thankful for this week?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting me at my Pursuing Heart blog. And congratulations on the new grandbaby coming! Enjoyed reading your list ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!