Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

One Thousand Gifts (335)

Continuing my journey of counting toward one thousand gifts...



Nature resembled a roller coaster this past week. Two major weather events in one week on the east coast. I'm not a fan of roller coasters: the slow-clacking climb, the stomach-heaving drop, the fast curves. No. I'm more of tilt-a-whirl girl. Spinning, laughing, out of breath, and a quick recovery.

Wildwood, NJ August 2011

Tuesday
I felt an earthquake whose epicenter was in Virginia while sitting at my desk at work (in Pennsylvania). The ground rolled beneath my feet. My computer screen shimmy-shaked and it took a few moments for my brain to acknowledge that it was an earthquake.

Friday
The main topic at work was Hurricane Irene scheduled to arrive on Saturday. I drove to the grocery store at 11:30 a.m to discover that almost all of the bottled water was gone. I purchased two small cases of water, two boxes of Wheat Thins, and two boxes of Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars. Strange shopping list right? I figured that if we lost power I wouldn't be able to cook anything, hence crackers and Nutri-Grain bars. I know myself well enough that I would not open a can of soup and eat it cold. You see, I cannot tolerate gazpacho.

After eating dinner, I discovered I'd won an e-book called Notes to Aspiring Writers from Kristen who blogs at Chasing Blue Skies. Yippee! I am so excited because it will be my first experience with an e-book. I'll be receiving it by email and can't wait! Notes to Aspiring Writers: Your Dream, God's Plan is written by Brooke McGlothlin. Thank you Kristen and Brooke!

Saturday
Wonderful Husband and I started "battening down the hatches." We moved the potted geraniums off the front porch, the lounge chairs off the back patio and into the basement, the chairs on the patio into the garage and secured the BBQ grill with bungee cords. We finished by 10:00 a.m. when the first bit of rain began to fall. Irene hadn't arrived, it was just some rain from the west.

Irene arrived, cloaked in darkness with rain, rain, rain. 6.32 inches of rain, wind gusts at 40 mph (not hurricane force which is 74 and above), and tornado warnings.

Sunday
Our neighbors lost part of their tree and our little "stick tree" that we planted five years ago was slightly injured. Wonderful Husband had to cut some broken branches from our little one. (Note: He's crouching down in this photo.)



Our basement is dry and we never lost electric power. You better believe that I'm thankful this week and I'm praying for all the east coasters that didn't fare as well. People who died, have homes or businesses that flooded, were hit by tornadoes....everyone who is suffering.

Lord, I pray for all people who are suffering the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. Please saturate them with Your comforting presence, love, and strength from this time forward. Thank you for the safe-keeping of the millions of others.  I had a calm spirit during the storm and know that I owe You my gratitude for whispering peace into my soul, and for Wonderful Husband's hugs. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

#335 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:

335. God's loving arms protecting and guiding me through life's storms; the weather occurences, as well as relationships, circumstances, and situations. Thank you Lord!

Please visit A Holy Experience: Multitudes On Mondays, One Thousand Gifts.
Turn on your speakers.
Read, enjoy, and thank God for His blessings.

What are you thankful for this week?

Do you like roller coasters, tilt-a-whirls, or some other amusement park ride(s)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!