Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

Today is Mother's Day and the blogging world has been writing about: motherhood or the lack of motherhood, their mom dying or living, how wonderful their mother is or was...or how awful.

This year (I think for the first time) my mother is celebrating Mother's Day at my brother and sister-in-law's home. I'm sure in Texas there will be bbq involved during a celebratory lunch or dinner. I mailed her Mother's Day card well in advance so it will arrive ahead of time. I try to be an appreciative and prompt daughter. :)

Wonderful Husband's mother (and father) are on a road trip. They've traveled to our son's town and saw him coach a track meet, took him to dinner, saw his apartment, and went to a hotel to rest up for their drive to South Carolina. On Saturday, they saw Julie (their granddaughter, our niece) graduate from Coastal Carolina University. (Way to go Julie!) They'll travel father south to spend a couple days in Charleston then return home next week. I mailed my mother-in-law's Mother's Day card and it will be waiting for her return.

My Mother's Day will be different because this is the first year that neither of our "kids" live in our home. Heck, our son lives out of state! So the annual tradition of my receiving geraniums from "the kids" for Mother's Day will be delivered by one, yet deeply appreciated "child". Isn't she the lucky one to live local?

Mother's Day geraniums 2011

Another change this year is that our daughter is pregnant and although the baby is due to arrive in November, I think of today as being our daughter's first Mother's Day. It will probably be her most quiet and peace-filled Mother's Day too. Ha!

During this time of being focused on the blessings in my life, I am thankful for:
my mom who raised me well (even though I was a bit of challenge...shhhh don't tell my kids),
my mother-in-law who raised a great son and who I think is the best mother-in-law ever,
and for our daughter who has the adventure of motherhood ahead of her and has me looking forward to November.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!