Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Job

I promised an update after my nail polish post, so here you go.

Here's the short (secular) version:
The lunch interview was last Thursday.
A follow-up visit to the office at 5:15 on Thursday evening.
The wait began: Friday, the weekend, Monday.
On Tuesday morning I ran errands, came home at 11:45 a.m. to a message on our voicemail asking me to call....
Job offered and I accepted.
Booyah!
I start working on December 1.

Here's the longer (God is awesome) version:
About a year ago, I asked  my former Bible Study buddy (Mary Lee) if she could keep "an ear out" for me about any job openings. She knew my background and the only two things I asked for her to keep in mind were that I wanted a short commute and full time employment.

Mary Lee has lived in the area for many years and has a lot of church and local business acquaintances and contacts. I would occasionally see her at church on Sundays, she and her husband came to a few Mission Committee meetings (while I was on the committee), and in passing on occasional Thursday mornings.

In June, Mary Lee sent me an email about a possible opening in our local Chamber of Commerce. I contacted the placement company and based on "dropping her name" as my recommendation, I sent in my resume, had a telephone interview, and took an online technical ability test. I sent an email to the interviewer saying that I had completed the test, left a message on his voicemail, and then heard nothing but cricket chirps.

At the end of October, Mary Lee emailed me about a possible job working for a couple who happen to be members of our church. She didn't name them but said she'd give them my name to contact. Two and half weeks elapsed and I was asked to a lunch interview on Thursday, November 18. The job was offered and I accepted on Tuesday, November 23.

In one week, I will be starting my new job which is full time and a short 20 minute commute from my home. I've thanked Mary Lee on the telephone and sent her a lovely Thanksgiving flower arrangement too. She has been a blessing to me during my job search.

So where has God been through all this?

Every step of the way with me during the 2 years and 10 months of my mini-retirement.

I left my last job where I worked at a church for over 5 years. I left that job thinking I would take nine months off and then get another job.

During these 2 years and 10 months:
  • I continued attending the weekly Bible Study at our church.
  • I continued my weekly phone calls with Terri where we talked our way through: The One Year Women's Friendship Devotional by Cheri Fuller & Sandra P. Aldrich, Me Myself & Lies....A Thought Closet Makeover by Jennifer Rothschild, and Lysa Terkeurst's book Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl.
  • Our daughter graduated from high school and left for college.
  • I had surgery and recovered well.
  • I watched the economy collapse and read about people losing their jobs, homes, etc.
  • Our daughter changed to a different college.
  • My husband's nephew had their first child, then he (our nephew) died from cancer a little over 2 months later.
  • Our son graduated from college and began looking for a job.
  • I finished my commitment to the Mission Committee at our church.
  • I was able to travel with our son out of state to keep him company before his interviews.
  • Our son was hired for his first teaching position in a middle school.
  • My faith grew amazingly gigantic because of the quiet I was surrounded with at home during the day.
  • I've grown wonderfully smaller by losing 19.5 lbs. :)
  • My husband never criticized or complained about my not getting a job on the 9 month time-table. He has shown an amazing amount of patience and love during my mini-retirement.
I believe God has His reasons for my time away from work.

I believe His plan enabled me to be fully present in all the situations listed above.

I believe I've used my time wisely and have grown closer to Him.

I read the Bible daily and have learned so much about what His truth and His love.

God is awesome!

This quiet interlude has made me a better person and now...

I'm ready to go out into the working world again.

A job is one more thing I have to be thankful for today.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!