Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

One Thousand Gifts (797-811)

Continuing on my journey toward one thousand gifts....


Friday was the last day of school for the students in our school district. My neighbor's garage door was open (meaning her sons had left to walk to the bus stop) and moments later I saw the big yellow bus drive past my house, for the last time until September.

I pray for the school bus kids on their way to school. I wish I would have had the discipline or determination or wisdom to do that when my own kids were on the bus. But life was busier back then with me starting household chores or in later years trying to get out the door to go to work.

I'm more aware that sometimes kids struggle with school, some don't have fun-filled summers with sleeping in and vacations and ice cream for dinner. Oh yes, years ago I read a magazine article with the idea of instead of preparing dinner, to serve ice cream for dinner (occasionally). I made a "sundae bar" with lots of choices to add to ice cream. I did it once and received a call from my neighbor asking if it was true. When I said yes, she said, "Thanks a lot. Your kids told my kids." (So I was dished up some sarcasm for being the best mom ever!)

Enough of my reminiscing. Back to the present.

The three high schools in our school district had their graduation ceremonies. I always think of our Superintendent who travels to all three schools to be present during each ceremony. This year the graduations were at 2:15, 4:30 and 6:30. I bet he's exhausted when all is said and done.

Lord, I pray for the high school graduates and for your guidance toward their future. I pray for the safety of all the students over the summer and for rest for the teachers and administrators. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

797 - 811 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:

797. all high school and college graduates

798. our son (The Teacher) finishing his second year of teaching

799. Rita's water ice: cherry flavor with little chunks of cherry












800. our niece having her third child...Jonah. Welcome to the world!

801. a Fios service technician who said two or three hours and finished the job in 1.5 hours

802. the interesting weather pattern in our area: sun, clouds, rain, repeat.

803. meeting Maria for coffee on Saturday

804. preparing for vacation

805. clean laundry

806. paid bills

807. catching up on correspondence: cards, RSVP for a wedding, etc.

808. listening to two sermons online

809. a new employee at work this week

810. dental and orthodontist appointments, both in one week (makes my mouth tired just thinking about it)

811. daylilies, always daylilies!












This post is linked to A Holy Experience: Multitudes on Monday, One Thousand Gifts.

Do you pray for students and teachers?
Did you have someone graduate this year?

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your daylilies! Most of mine got sick with bugs this year and didn't make it. Praying they come back next year!
    LOVE praying for students & teachers!
    I volunteer in 2 classes and I really miss these kids & teachers over the summer. Pray for them often!
    I too wish I would have been a better younger prayer...I think that is what God makes Grandmas for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping I can convince the powers that be to make a safer bus stop for my daughter (it's right at the top of a blind hill) because it scares me so much. I love daylilies and how they just get bigger and better every year! Happy summer to you, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah... daylilies.... one of life's best little blessings because they are both beautiful AND hardy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!