Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Communion

I'm linking this post to Mary's blog, Giving Up on Perfect, and am writing about subjects that she's chosen for the past seven Thursdays:

March 10 – Baptism
March 17 – Wedding
March 24 – Funeral
March 31 – Worship
April 7 – Bible study
April 14 – Prayer
April 21 – Communion

How appropriate that Mary chose today to assign the subject of communion. Today is Maundy Thursday, the Thursday of Holy Week commemorating Jesus' Last Supper and his washing of his disciples' feet.

When he (Jesus) had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."
John 13:12-17 (NIV)

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."
Matthew 26:26-29 (NIV)

In February, I read One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. She writes of eucharisteo and about how Jesus, knowing what his future held, took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples.

I receive the bread and grape juice (Presbyterian remember?) and my heart quickens when I hear Jesus "took the bread, gave thanks and broke it. Do this in remembrance of me."

I looked up the definition(s) of communion and read that it means the act of receiving the Eucharistic elements, the elements of Eucharist, and association, fellowship.

It brings me joy to be with others sharing in the remembrance of Jesus and participating in this tradition of our faith ...until he comes again.




Thank you Mary for choosing today's topic and for hosting this series on "A Remarkable Faith." It's made me dig deeper into my faith and I've learned about other's faith from reading their blogs and their insightful comments.

Please visit Giving Up on Perfect to read what Mary and others have written about communion.

Do you have a memory or some thoughts you'd like to share about communion?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, I love Ann's use of the term, eucharisteo, in her book! Thanks so much for participating in A Remarkable Faith, Cindy. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!