Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Shore

Wonderful Husband and I took a late vacation this year. We waited until the "kids" were settled into their fall routines (son moved and teaching in VA and daughter back to university).

The car was packed "to the gills" and off we went to "the shore." New words for me since in my younger (Texan) days I would say "the beach." Not correct vocabulary for a Pennsylvanian.

We began our vacation at one of my favorite places. Wildwood, NJ. Now you might think that since I have a new camera, I would take some pictures of Wildwood. Well, you'd be wrong. We arrived around 11:00 a.m. on Friday and were leaving early Saturday morning.

How can I describe riding toward Wildwood? My personal tradition is to roll the window down when we get close in order to smell the air. It has a fish aroma overlayed with a heavy salt smell. This from a woman who doesn't like to get close to the fish counter in the grocery store at home because the smell makes me want to gag! The aroma of Wildwood makes me happy.

We had lunch with my in laws at Owen's Pub. Ate crabcake sliders and fries. No shells in the crabcakes and just delicious.

Shopped at Hooked on Books (a second hand bookstore). I looked at their website for the first time before leaving home and printed off a 10% discount coupon. (Extra points for me using a coupon!) I also discovered that they're open only five months per year (May-September) and we were just squeaking in before they closed for the season.

Took a walk on the beach. The water temperature (68 degrees) was just cold enough to make me catch my breath at the chill, but then my feet grew accustomed to it.

Had dinner at the Boathouse restaurant. Tried to eat healthy by ordering broiled flounder, instead of some sort of fried fish. Tasteless, yet I think everyone else enjoyed their meal.

Walked on the boardwalk and had to stop at Douglass Fudge for my traditional chocolate fudge with nuts. Wonderful!

And we did all of these things while I didn't have my camera on me.

Heavy sigh.

I did better on Saturday morning when we took the Cape May/Lewes Ferry from Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE. It took us only 20 minutes to get from Wildwood to the Cape May/Lewes Ferry terminal. This was my first time riding on a ferry.

The Terminal in Cape May. Our view as we were lined up waiting to be loaded onto the ferry.

It was amazing how many cars, trucks, motorcycles were loaded on to the ferry. We had booked our reservation for 9:30, arrived early and were asked if we wanted to take the earlier ferry. Sure!

Goodbye Cape May!

We passed another ferry on the way. Another fascinating sight was seeing Monarch butterflies migrating to Mexico. I watched our ferry pass them and asked Wonderful Husband, "Why don't they just land on the ferry while crossing the Delaware River?" (Note to self: I'd make a very lazy butterfly.)

Hello Lewes, DE! Total ferry travel time was about 1 hour and 25 minutes. It was a delightful ride while sitting outside in the sun. Very breezy yet relaxing and I loved watching our fellow passengers. After docking, it only took 10 minutes for us to drive off the ferry and continue our way through Delaware, Maryland, and on to Virginia to visit our son for the day.


  1. I would be a great butterfly! Flying next to your van as you travel the east coast! Or maybe I'll just ride on the car.. Hmmm....

  2. So you get the "lazy butterfly syndrome" honestly. It's in your genes!


Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!