"Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (September 5 in 2011) that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers." - from Wikipedia
It is also a weekend chock-full of sales at retail establishments. Years ago I worked retail and some of "the baggage I carry" from those days are of hordes of customers coming into the store and buying too much merchandise that would be returned in the days that followed. Some
Fast forward to my no longer working retail and my Labor Day is now spent at home doing laundry, addressing baby shower invitations, working on this post, and spending the day with Wonderful Husband. Life is good.
#336-351 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:
336. all who work retail
337. seeing a hot air balloon on my way home from dinner with Wonderful Husband
338. sharing in our daughter's happiness with her engagement to be married
339. the Prayer Quilt Ministry at my church
340. sending a prayer-filled sympathy card to Janis whose father died
341. a sermon that ended with a personal application to "listen to what God is directing you toward"
342. a plan to purchase Beth Moore's "Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman" workbook and although I can't attend Bible Study with my buddies, I am planning on meeting with some to talk about the lessons.
343. the continuing relationship with my Bible Study buddies
344. receiving a thank-filled email. A rejuvenating end to a long and tiring day.
345. listening to "The Very Best of Kurt Carr" on the drive to and from work. Love singing along with the praise songs.
346. the first day of school. Seeing two brothers riding their small bikes with backpacks on their backs. The older brother (maybe 6 years old) stops, takes off his backpack and I wonder..Where is your parent? Dad is walking a bit behind and I'm sure will take care of the backpack issue. Yea for Dad!
347. the second day of school I see the yellow school bus loaded with middle school and high school kids passing by our house. Yea for the bus driver!
348. Back to School commercials. They make me giddy with happiness!
349. the news that our nephew and his wife are expecting twins. Double
350. the Labor Day holiday and the three day weekend
351. Wonderful Husband booking our vacation lodging. Over a month away yet I want to start packing.
Turn on your speakers.
Read, enjoy, and thank God for His blessings.
What are you thankful for this week?