Continuing on my journey toward one thousand gifts....
I received a phone call from Debbie telling me about Doug's death, a long time parishioner of the church where I worked years ago. He lived a long life (93 years) and was a good man who was treasurer of the church for many years until the end of his life. He was an active member of the church from his childhood until his death.
For a while, I was both the parish secretary (producing weekly bulletins) and financial secretary (paying the bills). Our paths intersected with Doug reviewing the financial reports I generated and I also referred to him as "my second husband" because he and Wonderful Husband were very similar in personality because of their finance backgrounds. Numbers were/are one of their love languages. :)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7
He lived these words.
Rest in peace Doug. I will miss you!
#721 - 732 on my list of One Thousand Gifts. I'm thankful for:
721. knowing Doug
722. God who consoles me during times of mourning
723. healthcare: my eight week orthodontist appointment and annual doctor's appointment
724. mailboxes on a "lazy susan" contraption. I drive past them every day and just noticed it for the first time? Yikes!
725. seeing a bird soaring with the wind. (Something I need to remember..."to soar" through/with events, not "against the wind.")
726. Wonderful Husband taking care of tax filings for our "kids"
727. Ann Voskamp writing at (in)courage "Why You Need to Find Community (even when you're really hurting)"
728. Mary's post "Fishing for Hope." It reminds me that my hope is in the Lord.
729. talking with our new(ish) neighbor while sitting on the front porch with Youngest Sweetie. He's very excited about getting a new internet provider. I'm guessing that technology is one of his love languages.
730. a cool breeze on a sunny day. Weather perfection in my humble opinion.
731. God leading me through my word for 2012 "Fellowship": using scripture, blogs, and books. It was a wonderful week of God showing me connections! (Or was I still enough to connect the dots?)
732. being still and moments of worldly silence in order to hear Him
This post is linked to A Holy Experience: Multitudes on Mondays, One Thousand Gifts.
Do you experience God's solace during hard times?