Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

Happiness from the oven....


One of my Christmas traditions is to bake a lot of pumpkin bread.
Some loaves are for our family.
Most loaves are for gifts.

Around Thanksgiving when I take my car in for an inspection or an oil change, the owner of the service center reminds me that it's almost time for me to bake and deliver his loaf of pumpkin bread.

Wonderful Husband takes at least 8 loaves to work and it makes my heart happy to hear that some of the bread doesn't make it home (it's eaten at the person's desk), and another has a tradition of eating it with a bit of melted butter on Christmas morning.

I also give a medium loaf (or 2 mini loaves) to my friend Diane for she and her family to enjoy on their long car ride to visit family in Tennessee.

So here is my gift to you.

A wonderful recipe I've been baking for 30 years.
I know, now you think I've been baking since birth! Ha!

Pumpkin Bread
3 c. sugar
1 c. oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 c. water
2 c. pumpkin
3 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped walnuts

Mix in order given. Pour in greased/floured pans. Fill slightly over 1/2 full.
(Use a hand mixer to combine all ingredients, then hand-stir in raisins and walnuts.)

8 mini loaves - Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Medium loaves - Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
When finished baking, remove from pan immediately and let cool on a wire rack.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!