Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Master Planner

The definition of coincidence is a sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged. I don't use the word coincidence because I believe that God is The Master Planner.

It all began on January 7 at Bible Study where people write prayer requests in a notebook. Carol had written Kathy's name, who is a church member and is also my neighbor, asking for healing and recovery while she is having chemotherapy. I have known Kathy for years since her son and my daughter were in the high school marching band together.

I didn't even know that she was sick.

On January 14 after Bible Study I had the chance to ask about Kathy and was told that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. So I made a note in my calendar to send her a card of encouragement and prayer.

On January 17 I started reading A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman and just finished Chapter 1. A task under "Putting It Into Practice," said to "Name someone in your life whom God is nudging you to reach out to," and I thought of Kathy.

I wrote a note to Kathy telling her that I'd just heard about her diagnosis and chemotherapy treatments and asked if we could get together for a visit if she was feeling up to one. I also wrote a prayer for her to experience God's healing touch and for comfort for her family during this time. I was hopeful that she would give me a call with a day that was good for her.

I wrote the following prayer in my journal: Lord, I pray for your guidance and wisdom in reaching out to Kathy. Help me to determine what your desire is and how I can encourage her during this health crisis. Amen.

I believe God is guiding me toward Kathy, yet had to laugh because I wanted to get the card in the mail quickly and then remembered that there is no mail delivery on MLK Day. So I would have to wait until Tuesday (January 19) to mail the card.

On January 19 the card is put in the mailbox and gets picked up in the afternoon. At 8:45 p.m. I get a phone call from Carol who is in charge of scheduling meal deliveries for Kathy and her family during the month of January. Carol had a volunteer cancel and was wondering if I could take a meal to Kathy on January 27. (My name had come to her since she remembered that I was a neighbor.) Of course I said yes.

So I see this as an opportunity to visit Kathy, or if she's not feeling well maybe I'll visit briefly with her daughter and husband. (Their son is off at college.)

Talk about a sequence of events that seem to have been planned or arranged, not by accident, but by God. God is The Master Planner who arranged all of this in 20 days.

Have you ever had a similar experience?

Thank you Lord for your concise plan and please guide me to be helpful to Kathy and her family. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I got chills reading this post...Thank you for sharing...I know that if we are living close to God, he will put people and situations in our path...To help them, and sometimes it is us who needs and recieves His help...Kathy is lucky to have a neighbor like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!