Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Am I A Cheerleader?

In 2 Corinthians 2:14-16a Paul says, "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life."

I read these verses a couple days ago and while sitting down to dinner as a family, I said that I loved to hear that we are to others "the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ" and we are to God "the aroma of Christ."

I think the reason the scripture was jumping out at me was because of my baking leading up to Christmas. All the fragrance and aroma of pumpkin bread, cookies, pies......wonderful!

In meeting with my Bible Study Buddies for the first time in the new year, I entered the room and immediately one of them mentioned that I looked like a co-ed. OK. I was wearing a Bloomsburg sweat jacket, my canvas bag on my shoulder(also Bloomsburg) and was carrying my cold Diet Coke in a Bloomsburg cozy. (Enough of my great fashion sense! Ha!) I laughed and told her the cozy was from my Christmas stocking. The next thing she said was, "Were you a cheerleader?"

(That made me laugh! I was so not a cheerleader! I was a typical late '70s teenager living in a small town, with a bad attitude, making bad decisions.)

Later that day, I started thinking about how in my God focused years I have become an encourager. I cheered for my husband with every relocation we made with his career. I cheered for my kids through school, activities, accomplishments. I cheered for nieces, nephews, other family members and friends throughout their lives.

I had an epiphany, I am a cheerleader.

In my Bible, I have underlined 1 Thessalonians 5:11 where Paul says, "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."

Maybe that is the fragrance of Christ that I bring out into the world (beginning in my home and working my way outward.)

Are you a cheerleader?

1 comment:

  1. "I was a typical late '70s teenager living in a small town, with a bad attitude, making bad decisions."

    ^^^^ favorite line!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and if you leave a comment...well that's just icing on the cake!